Without a Prescription
Zetia is a cholesterol-lowering drug.
Zetia is a combination of two drugs, simvastatin and ezetimibe.
Zetia is a popular drug that is known for its abilities to lower the patient's blood cholesterol levels by blocking the organism's production of cholesterol and by reducing the amount of fat that is absorbed by the organism.
Zetia is a popular medicine that is prescribed to patients who need to raise their "good cholesterol" levels, but lower their "bad cholesterol" levels.
Zetia is prescribed along with a special diet to lower the amount of fatty material in the blood- triglycerides and LDL (or "bad") cholesterol-that can build up on artery walls and block blood flow.
Zetia is prescribed for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia.
Zetia is prescribed if you are at high risk for heart disease and your cholesterol level is above 130, or if you are at low risk for heart disease and your cholesterol level is above 190.
Zetia raises HDL (or "good") cholesterol, which helps prevent fats from building up and clogging the arteries.
Zetia reduces the patient's LDL levels.
A treatment with this product is able to reduce the patient's risk of developing hardened arteries (a medical condition that can sometimes lead to stroke, heart attack or circulation problems).
Each works in a different way to lower levels of fat in the blood.
Ezetimibe reduces the amount of cholesterol absorbed in the intestines.
Simvastatin works by interrupting the process of cholesterol production, mainly in the liver.
The liver produces most of the cholesterol needed to maintain a healthy balance.
Your body needs fat to function properly, but when it accumulates as fatty deposits in the arteries, it increases your risk for heart attack, stroke, and blood-vessel disease.
The usual dose is one 10/20 tablet containing 10mg of ezetimibe and 20mg of simvastatin taken once a day in the evening.
CHILDREN 10 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER
The dose is 10mg once a day in the evening. The dosage may be increased every 4 weeks, as determined by the doctor, up to a maximum of 40mg a day.
Zetia side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Upper respiratory infection;
- Swelling of the face lips throat or tongue;
- Sore throat cough stuffy or runny nose;
- Skin itching or rash;
- Rust-colored urine or decreased urine;
- Numbness or pain in the hands or feet;
- Nausea stomach pain diarrhea;
- Muscle tenderness or pain or weakness with flu-like symptoms fever;
- Muscle pain tenderness or weakness;
- Inflammation of the pancreas;
- Inflammation of the liver;
- Inflammation of the gallbladder;
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing or rash;
- Blurred vision;
- Back pain joint pain;
- Allergic reaction;
- Simvastatinum [Latin];
- Simvastatine [French];
- Simvastatina [Spanish];
- Simvastatin [Usan:Ban:Inn];
Zetia is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- If you are allergic to either ezetimibe or simvastatin;
- If you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or have missed a period;
- If you have liver disease or if blood tests suggest a liver problem;
Do not take Zetia with any of the following drugs:
- Amiodarone or verapamil;
- Antifungal medicines such as itraconazole and ketoconazole;
- Blood-thinning drugs such as warfarin;
- Grapefruit juice (large quantities);
- Hiv medicines called protease inhibitors, such as indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, and saquinavir;
- Hiv medicines;
- Hiv protease inhibitors;
- Niacin and nicotinic acid;