Without a Prescription
Zanamivir helps make the symptoms (e.g., stuffy nose, cough, sore throat, fever/chills, aches, tiredness) less severe and shortens the recovery time by about 1 day.
Zanamivir is prescribed to prevent the flu in adults and children 5 years and older (in household members exposed to a flu sufferer).
Zanamivir is prescribed to treat symptoms caused by the flu virus (influenza) in adults and children 7 years and older.
Zanamivir is not a substitute for the flu vaccine.
Zanamivir works by stopping the flu virus from growing.
Zanamivir is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding;
- If you are taking other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal or complementary medicines;
- If you have breathing problems such as asthma;
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or any other medicine;
- if you are allergic to milk proteins (not lactose intolerance);
- if you are allergic to Zanamivir;
- if you have any other allergies;
- if you have heart disease;
- if you have kidney problems;
- if you have lung or breathing problems (asthma, COPD);
Do not take Zanamivir with any of the following drugs:
- Inhaled medications (albuterol);
Zanamivir side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat);
- Severe dizziness;
- Trouble breathing;