Without a Prescription
Tolnaftate is prescribed to treat certain kinds of fungal or yeast infections of the skin.
Tolnaftate is an antifungal medicine.
Tolnaftate is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- If you have an unusual or allergic reaction to tolnaftate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives;
- If you have breast-feeding;
- If you have diabetes;
- If you have immune system problems;
- If you have peripheral vascular disease;
- If you have pregnant or trying to get pregnant;
Do not wear socks made from wool or synthetic materials like rayon or nylon.
Do not wear underwear that is tight-fitting or made from synthetic fibers like rayon or nylon. Wear loose-fitting, cotton underwear.
If you are using Tolnaftate for athlete's foot be sure to dry your feet carefully after bathing, especially between the toes.
If you are using this medicine for 'jock itch' be sure to dry the groin completely after bathing.
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
Wear clean cotton socks and change them at least once a day, change them more if your feet sweat a lot. Also, try to wear sandals or shoes that are well-ventilated.
You may have a skin infection that does not respond to this medicine.
Tolnaftate side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Mild skin irritation, burning, or itching at the affected area;
- Increased inflammation, redness, or pain at the affected area;
- Dry skin;
- Allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue;