Single dose vial: 5 ml; 50 mg powder for reconstitution.
Without a Prescription
Tigecycline is a glycylcycline antibiotic.
Tigecycline is prescribed for the treatment of complicated skin infections caused by susceptible strains of bacteria including Escherichia coli, Enterococcus faecalis, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus agalactiae, Streptococcus anginosus group, Streptococcus pyogenes and Bacteroides fragilis.
Tigecycline is prescribed for treating community-acquired bacterial pneumonia caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae,and Legionella pneumophila.
Tigecycline is prescribed for treating complicated intra-abdominal infections caused by susceptible strains of Citrobacter freundii, Enterobacter cloacae, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella oxytoca, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterococcus faecalis, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus anginosus group, Bacteroides fragilis, Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron, Bacteroides uniformis, Bacteroides vulgatus, Clostridium perfringens, and Peptostreptococcus micros.
Tigecycline is prescribed to treat certain kinds of bacterial infections.
Tigecycline will not work for colds, the flu, or other viral infections.
To prevent resistance, tigecycline should only be used to treat infections caused or very likely to be caused by susceptible strains of bacteria.
The initial dose is 100 followed by 50 mg every 12 hours.
The recommended duration of treatment for community-acquired bacterial pneumonia is 7-14 days.
The usual duration of treatment is 5-14 days for complicated skin infections or for complicated intra-abdominal infections.
Tigecycline is administered via intravenous infusions over 30-60 minutes.
Tigecycline side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue;
- back or stomach pain;
- breathing problems;
- fever or infection;
- high or low blood pressure;
- Increased or decreased heart rate and infections;
- irregular heart beat;
- nausea, vomiting;
- pain at site where injected;
- Pain at the injection site;
- Swelling and irritation;
- swelling of the hands or feet;
- trouble sleeping;
- unusual bleeding or bruising;
- unusual taste;
- unusually weak or tired;
- upset stomach;
- vaginal irritation or discharge;
- yellowing of eyes or skin;
Tigecycline is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- an unusual or allergic reaction to tigecycline, tetracycline antibiotics, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives;
- liver disease;
- other chronic illness;
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant;
Do not take Tigecycline with any of the following drugs:
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin;
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills;