Without a Prescription
Some people find relief from one non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug despite not having responded to others.
Tenoxicam and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs work by preventing the production of irritant chemicals that cause pain and inflammation in the body.
Tenoxicam is prescribed for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, backache, and pain.
There are only small differences between the anti-inflammatory action of these drugs, but the way people respond and tolerate these drugs can vary.
Tenoxicam is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- If you are pregnant, trying for a baby or breast-feeding;
- If you are taking any other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines;
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to this or any other medicine;
- If you have ever had an unusual reaction from taking aspirin or another NSAID;
- If you have ever had blood clotting problems;
- If you have indigestion or heart burn;
- If you suffer from hypertension (high blood pressure);
- If you suffer from liver, kidney or heart problems;
- If you suffer from rhinitis (constant runny nose), asthma or breathing problems;
- If you suffer or have ever suffered from peptic (stomach) ulcer, inflammatory bowel disease or any other gastric or bowel problems;
Tenoxicam side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- A high temperature with a sore throat;
- Black or bloody stools or blood in the urine;
- Disturbance in vision;
- Increased sensitivity to sunlight;
- Loss of appetite;
- Mouth and throat;
- Numbness in your hands or feet;
- Or feeling sick;
- Problems sleeping;
- Ringing or buzzing in the ears;
- Swelling of the lips;
- Tummy pain;
- Wheezing or breathing problems;
Other Brand Names
In some countries Tenoxicam may also be known as: