Without a Prescription
Oxytetracycline belongs to a group of antibiotics called tetracyclines.
Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic which has the ability to inhibit the growth of a wide variety of bacteria.
It interferes with the production of proteins that the bacteria need to multiply and divide.
This inhibits the ability of the bacteria to grow and therefore stops the spread of the infection.
Oxytetracycline is prescribed for:
- Lyme disease;
- Infections of the sex organs and organs associated with urination;
- Infections caused by rickettsiae micro-organisms transmitted by lice, fleas, ticks and mites;
- Infection caused by brucella bacteria;
- Disease caused by infection with leptospira bacteria;
- Dental infections;
- Chronic inflammatory disorder of the facial skin;
- Chronic bronchitis;
- Acne vulgaris;
Oxytetracycline side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- Visual disturbances;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Inflammation of the pancreas;
- Inflammation of the large intestine;
- Damage to the liver;
- Abnormal reaction of the skin to light, usually a rash;