Omalizumab is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- an unusual or allergic reaction to omalizumab, hamster proteins, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives;
- lymphoma or other cancer;
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant;
- if you are allergic to Omalizumab;
- if you have any other allergies;
Without a Prescription
Omalizumab does not work immediately and should not be used for the quick relief of an acute asthma attack.
Omalizumab is prescribed to help treat allergic asthma and other allergies.
Omalizumab is prescribed to treat moderate to severe asthma in adults and children over 12 years of age.
Omalizumab may be given with other treatments for these conditions.
Omalizumab works by blocking your immune system's natural response to allergic triggers that can lead to an acute asthma attack.
This action on your immune system (specifically immunoglobulin E-IgE), helps keep your air passages open and, over time, it keeps your asthma in better control.
Do not take Omalizumab with any of the following drugs:
- other medications for asthma;
Omalizumab side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue;
- breathing problems;
- Chest tightness;
- Injection site itching;
- Itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat);
- mild redness, itching, swelling, or bruising at the injection site;
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet;
- Trouble breathing;
- unusual bleeding or bruising;
- Unusual lumps/growths/moles;