Megestrol is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- if you are allergic to Megestrol;
- if you have adrenal gland problems (Cushing's syndrome);
- if you have any other allergies;
- if you have blood clots;
- if you have congestive heart failure;
- if you have diabetes;
- if you have high blood pressure;
- if you have kidney problems;
- if you have unusual vaginal bleeding;
Without a Prescription
Megestrol is prescribed alone or with other treatments, including surgery and radiation, to stop the growth of your tumor.
Megestrol is prescribed for the treatment of anorexia, cachexia, or an unexplained, significant weight loss in patients with a diagnosis of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
Megestrol is prescribed to increase your appetite and to prevent or reverse significant weight loss (muscle wasting in cancer or AIDS).
Megestrol is prescribed to treat advanced Breast Cancer and endometrial cancer.
Megestrol is prescribed to treat breast cancer, endometrial cancer, and prostate cancer in Canada and some other countries.
Megestrol is prescribed to treat cancer of the breast or uterus.
Megestrol is prescribed to treat loss of appetite and weight loss that is a result from Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS).
Megestrol is not known how megestrol helps appetite or stops tumor growth.
Megestrol is similar to a natural substance made by the body called progesterone.
This can result in an increase in your sense of well-being and your physical ability.
Do not take Megestrol with any of the following drugs:
- chlorpropamide such as diabinese;
- glipizide such as glucotrol;
- glyburide such as diabeta, micronase, and glynase;
- tolazamide such as tolinase;
- tolbutamide such as orinase;
- diabetes medication;
The enzyme inducer decreases the effect of hormones:
Other Brand Names
In some countries Megestrol may also be known as:
- megestrol acetate;
Megestrol side effects that you should report to your health care professional or doctor as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions;
- changes in vision;
- decrease sex drive;
- menstrual bleeding;
- severe headache;
- changes in appetite;
- chest pain;
- decreased sexual ability/desire;
- fast/pounding heartbeat;
- itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat);
- mental/mood changes;
- pain/redness/swelling of arms or legs;
- severe dizziness;
- severe or sudden vision changes;
- slurred speech;
- stomach upset;
- swelling of hands/feet;
- trouble breathing;
- trouble sleeping;
- very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely;
- weakness/numbness on one side of the body;
- weight gain;