Calcitonin (Salmon) BP 1100 I.U., Benzalkonium chloride NF 0.01% w/v (as preservative)
Each spray delivers Calcitonin (Salmon) BP 100 I.U.
Calcitonin (Salmon) BP 2200 I.U. Benzalkonium chloride NF 0.01% w/v as preservative)
Each spray delivers Calcitonin (Salmon) BP 200 I.U.
Without a Prescription
- Early and advanced postmenopausal osteoporosis where conventional estrogen/calcium combination therapy is contraindicated or not possible for some other reason;
- Excessive osteolysis due to malignancy with bone metastases in breast, lung or kidney carcinoma, myeloma and other malignancies;
- Hypercalcaemia and hypercalcaemic crisis due to:;
- Hyperparathyroidism, immobilization or vitamin-d intoxication, for both acute and chronic cases;
- Paget's disease of bone (ostentis deformans);
- To prevent progressive loss of bone mass patients receiving Calcitonin must be given calcium and vitamin d supplementation appropriate to individual requirements;
Algoneyrodystrophy or Sudeck’s disease
Associated with various causes and predisposing factors such as posttraumatic painful osteoporosis, sympathetic reflex dystrophy, shoulder-hand syndrome, causalgia, iatrogenic neutrophic disturbances.
Post menopausal osteoporosis
The lowest effective dose is not known and recommended dose levels are currently as follows:
Nasal spray: 100-200 IU (1 or 2 metered doses of the 100 IU or 1 metered dose of the 200 IU solution) daily or 200 IU every second day depending on severity, if necessary in several divided doses.
Nasal spray: 200 IU (2 metered doses of the 100 IU solution or 1 metered dose of the 200 IU solution) daily in two divided doses, although 200 IU twice daily may be required initially in a few cases.
Dose reduction may also be attempted after a time in patient's using the intranasal form.
Long-term management of chronic hypercalcaemic states
Nasal spray: 200-400 IU daily in several divided doses.
Early diagnosis is important and treatment with Calcitonin should start as soon as it is confirmed.
Nasal spray: 200 IU daily in 2-4 divided doses for 2-4 weeks, then 200 IU three times a week for up to 6 weeks, depending on response .
Calcitonin is contraindicated if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to Calcitonin.
- 14 metered doses;