Without a Prescription
Abilify, also referred to as Aripiprazole, is prescribed in therapies for people suffering from the psychotic disorder schizophrenia. It is also prescribed for sustaining a stable state in patients who have experienced symptom relief while taking other anti-psychotic drugs and who have been under observation for cases of health deterioration for about 6 and a half months. Bipolar Disorders are another illness where Abilify is utilised for treatment. Bipolar Disorders are also referred to as manic-depression. Abilify is approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Abilify comes in the form of tablets and can be obtained solely on prescription.
The medication Abilify has not been tested or deliberated with individuals under 18 years of age. Individuals allergic to Abilify, Aripiprazole or any other component of the drug, cannot follow this treatment. When following Abilify treatment, it is essential that there is no intake of alcohol during the period of the treatment. Do not breast-feed your child during the Abilify treatment. If you are expecting or are planning to have a baby, please inform your doctor. If you have suffered from fits or convulsions in the past, you should once again inform your doctor. Patients who are following treatments to control their sugar level in the blood are not advised to take Abilify as it contains sugar. Patients suffering from demential symptoms (which may consist of fall in concentration, fall in memory power) should not take Abilify.
Inform your doctor if you have previously suffered from a stroke/heart attack or have heart complications.
You should inform your doctor if you are following any other treatments or if you are taking any other drugs, especially Tegretol (carbamazepine), Fluoxetine, Ketoconazole, drugs for treating high BP, Paroxetine or Quinidine. Abilify might interfere with effectiveness of these drugs and vice versa. Also, severe side effects may occur when taking Abilify and these drugs simultaneously.
Abilify side effects, or side effects when utilising any anti-psychotic drug, can be of a very severe nature. You should inform your doctor immediately if you feel you are experiencing any of the following side effects.
- Hyperglycemia - please consult your doctor in situations where it is essential for you to control your blood sugar levels. there have been cases of coma and fatal cases where patients taking Abilify experienced a rise in their blood sugar levels;
- Dysphagia - utilizing Abilify might cause you to have difficulties to swallow. this is also referred to as dysphagia. these difficulties might lead to suffocation. in certain cases, patients might experience aspiration pneumonia;
- Effects on the mind - Abilify can affect thought processes, decision-making and motoring skills. you should not drive or utilise any dangerous equipment while taking Abilify until you know to what extent the drug affects you;
- Increased risks of heart attack - research and examinations carried out with older patients suffering from dementia have shown that intake of Abilify increases the risks of suffering from a stroke or heart attack;
- Nms (neuroleptic malignant syndrome) - indications of nms are perspiration, a confused state of mind, a considerable rise in body temperature, stiff muscles, alterations in the bp, pulse and abnormal rhythm of the heartbeat;
- Td (tardive dyskinesia) - indications of tardive dyskinesia are muscular tremors which are anomalous or cannot be controlled;
NMS can cause complete loss of muscle usage and malfunctions of the kidney. It can also cause death.
More frequent side effects of Abilify are:
Debility, a condition of nausea, throwing up, swellings and irritations, nervousness, difficulties in falling asleep, bowel complications, giddiness, drowsiness, headaches and an agitated state of mind.
You should take precautions and ensure that you are not dehydrated and keep your body temperature stable.
If you start thinking of committing suicide, please inform your doctor.
Indications of an Abilify overdose may consist of drowsiness and throwing up. If you feel you have taken an overdose of Abilify, please get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible.
If it so happens that you forget to take an Abilify dosage, do so right after you have remembered. But if you remember this when it almost time for the next Abilify dosage, do not take the dosage you missed. Continue to follow your usual Abilify dosage program.
Do not take 2 dosages simultaneously.
Abilify comes in the form of a substance and a tablet for oral use. Abilify should be taken once daily. The medication can be administered with or without meals. It is suggested that Abilify be taken at approximately a similar time everyday. Read the instructions on your prescription thoroughly. If you have doubts as to how to take Abilify, please contact your doctor.
For adults, the suggested Abilify dosage is of 10mg or 15mg to be taken daily. Usually, your doctor will wait for a period of 2 weeks before changing the dosage.
Abilify should be taken as instructed by the doctor. Do not change your dosage without consulting your doctor and do not discontinue usage even if there is an improvement in your condition. Abilify controls the symptoms of schizophrenia but is not a permanent cure.
Other Brand Names
In some countries Abilify may also be known as:
- Real One;